Saturday, September 6, 2014

Star Citizen - To own an Idris-M or not?

I sold off my entire fleet save for an Aurora LN earlier on this year, including my Idris-M and Vanduul Scythe. I made a tidy profit in the process. Now however, I'm having second thoughts and thinking about buying back an Idris-M on the grey market. I contacted a well-known trader and asked him to source for an Idris-M for me. He came back a couple of days later with a price of 3600+fees. I hesitated. It was a lot of money. The Idris-M was a capital ship and would need to be crewed. Even though I had a dream of stocking my own Idris with AI hornets and raiding a Vanduul base, it was highly improbable that I would be able to fly a capital ship myself without any human crew. I imagined myself restricted to only flying in secure UEE space with my small fleet doing nothing else but ferry cargo between planets. An inglorious way of spending time in a 3.5k ship. It would be a complete waste of resources. I am a lone ranger, and would be better off in a Constellation with a couple of AI crew or a Hornet fitted for cargo runs. My small aim in the PU is to make some money doing trade runs, buy over some factories, and work my way up the in-game social ladder as a trader/merchant/businessman. In the end, I passed on the Idris-M offer. Let me end with a quote from Sun Tzu's Art of War:
知己知彼,百戰不殆。 (Zhī jǐ zhī bǐ, bǎi zhàn bù dài.)
If you know both yourself and your enemy, you can win numerous (literally, "a hundred") battles without jeopardy.

No comments: