Thursday, August 23, 2012

I'm giving up on Blizzard games

Wow, I can't believe how much anger and resentment I've built up over the years for Blizzard's MMO, World of Warcraft. Unbalanced PVP, stale content which has been milked to its maximum potential, and a massive, aimless grind. Then there's Diablo 3. Massively overhyped and a great letdown in terms of graphics quality, itemization, and balancing. The only saving grace for Blizzard as far as I'm concerned, is Starcraft 2. And even that has been tarnished by the recent UI-fuck-up that patch 1.5 brought to the game.

Enough is enough. I'm turning my back on Blizzard and paying more attention to other promising games developed by smaller companies unburdened by complacency and corporate greed.

Mechwarrior Online, currently in closed beta and being developed by Piranha Games Inc, looks good. I've been waiting for a Mechwarrior game for a long time, and so have many other people who are fans of the BattleTech series.

Wasteland 2, in the early stages of development by InXile Entertainment, is another game which I'm looking forward to. Brian Fargo, who Executive-Produced Wasteland, one of the most acclaimed games in the golden age of computer role-playing games, has assembled quite a few talented game designers, programmers, artists and writers for this task. Among them are:
Chris Avellone, a game designer who worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas.
Colin McComb, a writer and designer who has worked on Planescape Torment and Fallout 2.
Mark Morgan, the composer for Fallout 1/2 and Planescape Torment.
Jason Anderson, the co-creator of Fallout.
Along with the original game's primary designers, Alan Pavlish and Michael Stackpole.

Just started playing Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, and I must say, it rocks! Multiplayer is a bit glitchy though. I've always been a fan of Transformers and there's something really addictive about playing as a giant robot and smashing things up.

I'm also occupied with building my dream city in CityVille. Before you sneer and jeer, don't look down on Facebook games, especially ones made by Zynga. According to appdata.com, CityVille has 20 million monthly active users as of August this year. Definitely nothing to sniff at.

In summary, I'm ditching Blizzard games for greener pastures.
GG Blizzard, GG.

No comments: